How To Play Free Music On The Echo Dot (Easy Guide)
The Echo Dot is Amazon’s cheap yet highly functional home automation device. It is compatible with almost all Alexa products and several other automation services like your security system, thermostat, lighting snd it is simply a perfect and versatile virtual assistant for everybody.
One of the most popular uses for the Echo Dot is a music control system and it is very convenient to sit anywhere in your home and simply say “Hey Alexa! Play [any track I’ve been longing to hear],” and your track will come on immediately.
However, even if Amazon would want you to access all your tracks via its premium services, the truth is that you can simply configure your Echo Dot to function with almost all the music services out there, including Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play Music and so on.
How Can I Play Free Music On The Echo Dot:
As you already know, your Echo Dot starts out as using Amazon Music as the default music player. Therefore, if you are a Prime member you might need to leave it there since the song will cost nothing apart from its Prime subscription costs.
However, if you have no access to Prime or you wish to use another streaming service, then you will need to hook your Dot up to a more effective source of free music. There are various free services with built-in Alexa integration, including iHeartRadio, Pandora, and TuneIn. You can even connect to the free tiers of Spotify or Apple Music too. See the process below:
- Launch the Alexa application on your device or PC.
- Choose “Settings,” then “Music.”
- Choose “Link New Service” and choose your preferred service from the list.
- Follow the wizard to include logins or set as default.
The “Link New Service” feature includes several popular music services, but not all. If the one you wish to add is not visible, head back to “Music,” and choose “Manage Services.” You will be able to search for the service from there.
Another way to play free songs on your Echo Dot is via a linked device like a mobile phone. You can pair your iOS device (or another Bluetooth-enabled device) to your Echo Dot through Bluetooth and use your Echo as a speaker for the song you are streaming via your device. Pairing is not complicated but the Alexa application has to be installed on the device. Adhere to the instructions below:
- Ensure Bluetooth is activated on your device.
- Launch the Alexa application on your device.
- Say “Alexa, pair.” out loud where Alexa on the Echo Dot can hear.
- Choose the Echo Dot in the Bluetooth display on your phone as soon as it is detected and pair both of them.
- Say “Alexa, connect.” to connect your device and the Echo Dot.
- Play songs from any source on your phone.