How to reset a forgotten password on Twitter
A functioning email address and/or phone number is the best step you can take to ensure you never lose access to your account. Take a moment and make sure the email address and/or phone number you have associated with your account is up to date.
How to change your password while you’re logged in
- From your logged in account, click on the more icon in the navigation bar and select Settings and privacy.
- From the account tab, click on Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Choose your new password.
- Save your changes by clicking Save.
How to send yourself a password reset via email
- From the sign in page on either twitter.com, mobile.twitter.com, or the Twitter for iOS or Android app, click Forgot password?
- Enter your email address, phone number, or Twitter username. If you have multiple accounts associated with your phone number, you cannot use your phone number during this step.
- Choose the email address where you want to receive the password reset email.
- Check your email inbox. Twitter will immediately send a message to your account’s email address.
- Click the reset link in that email.
- Choose a new password.
How to send yourself a password reset via SMS
If you’ve added your phone number to your account in your Mobile settings, you may receive a password reset via SMS/text message.
- From the Forgot password? page, enter your phone number, email address, or Twitter username.
- Enter your phone number and click Search.
- Text a code to my phone ending in [XX] will be displayed. Click Continue.
- Twitter will text you a six-digit code which will be valid for 15 minutes.
- Enter this code into the text field on the password reset page and click Submit.
- You will then be prompted to choose a new password.
Requiring additional information to request a password reset
If you frequently receive password reset messages that you did not request, you can require additional information be entered in order to initiate a password reset:
- Via twitter.com, go to your Account settings.
- Under the Security section, check the box next to Password reset protect.
- You will be required to enter your account email address or phone number, in order to send a password reset email or SMS/text.
- If your email address and phone number are both associated with your account, you’ll be asked to enter both, in order to send a password reset email or SMS/text.