How to Set up and Unlock your iPhone with Face ID
Get the best out of your iphone device use the Face ID feature, before you set up Face ID, make sure that there isn’t anything covering the TrueDepth camera or your face. Face ID is designed to work with glasses and contacts. Face ID works best when your iPhone or iPad is approximately an arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
To set up Face ID:
- Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Make sure that you’re holding your device in portrait orientation, position your face in front of your device, and tap Get Started.
- Position your face inside the frame and gently move your head to complete the circle. If you’re unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
- When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
- Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
- Tap Done.
If you didn’t set a passcode, you’ll be asked to create one to use as an alternate way to verify your identity.
To choose features that you want to use Face ID with or reset Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
Unlock your iPhone
After you set up Face ID, you can use it to unlock your iPhone or iPad. Here’s how
- Raise to wake or tap to wake your iPhone or iPad.
- If you’re using an iPhone, hold it in portrait orientation, then glance at it. On iPad, you can hold it in either portrait or landscape orientation. If it’s in landscape orientation, make sure that your finger isn’t covering the TrueDepth camera. Then glance at the screen.
- When the lock icon on your screen animates from closed to open, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.
To turn this feature on or off, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode, then tap iPhone Unlock or iPad Unlock.